By Name or City
By Distance (USA/PR only)
mi. of
By Date Posted
East Quoddy Head Light
 
 Database FAQDatabase FAQ   SearchSearch   Member ListMember List   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in   

 Lighthouse Database » North America » Canada » Nova Scotia

Maugher Beach Light (McNab's Island Light)
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Please log in or register to review this lighthouse. If you have additional information or corrections, please contact us.


Average Rating: 
Lighthouse Rating
 N/A (0 reviews)

Recommended By: No recommendations


General Information
Date Established: 1815
Date Present Tower Built: 1941
Height of Tower: 54 ft.

Location

Distance from You:
Zip Code:

Open to Public?: No

Related Links
Find Related Items on eBay

 
Photos

Full-Size
 
Full-Size
 
Full-Size
  Maugher_Beach_silhouette_DSC_1712_filtered_700.jpg
Full-Size
  Maugher_Beach_NS_DSC_0194_600.jpg
Full-Size
  Maugher_Beach_Rainbow_DSC_0197_700.jpg
Full-Size

Maugher_Beach_Lighthouse_DSC_0081_700.jpg

*Photos on this page are the property of lighthousephoto, unless otherwise noted, and may not be downloaded or used without permission from the copyright owner.

Description
Maugher Beach lighthouse on what is now known as McNab's Island was first established in 1815. Maugher Beach in addition to being the home of several lighthoues, has also had a rather gruesome chapter in its past. During the Napoleonic Wars, the Royal Navy used the beach to display the bodies of executed sailors as a warning to others tempted to disobey the regulations of His Majesty's Naval Service.

All vessels entering or leaving Halifax harbor pass close to the Maugher Beach lighthouse as the beach extends about 1,000 yards out into the harbor's entrance. The first light was exhibited only when navel vessels were expected to enter the harbor. The light atop the stone Sherbrooke Tower at Maugher Beach and was exhibited beginning in 1828. The original tower suffered damage regularly from storms sweeping in off the North Atlantic. A breakwater was built in 1875 to protect the beach and dwellings. A massive storm in 1931 nearly destroyed the Martello tower and spelled the end of the tower. The exhisting reinforced concrete lighthouse was built in 1941; the remains of the old tower were finally demolished in 1944.


Submitted by: lighthousephoto Date posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 Views: 1743