Established
1839
Present tower
1868
Automated
1934
Tower height
30' (9m)
Focal height
57' (17m)
Open to public?
 Grounds only

Cedar Island Lighthouse was built to help guide whaling ships into Northwest Bay and the port of Sag Harbor during the early 19th century. The first lighthouse was built in 1839 and replaced by the present structure in 1868. The light was deactivated in 1934 and replaced by a skeletal tower. After a fire gutted the interior, the windows were bricked over to prevent further damage. The lighthouse was purchased by Suffolk County in 1967 and the light was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. Steps are now being taken to eventually restore the lighthouse. It is a 1.3 mile walk along the beach to get to the lighthouse.

Members who have visited Cedar Island Lighthouse

Comments