Established
1903
Tower height
15' (5m)
Focal height
75' (23m)
Open to public?
 Grounds only

The Fort Wadsworth Light is a squat red brick lighthouse with a white lantern room that stands atop Battery Weed barely north of the western tower of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge that spans the entrance to New York harbor between Staten Island and Brooklyn. The original lighthouse was a 40 foot tower to the base of the lantern that was built in 1828. That light was upgraded in 1843 and again in 1855 with a 4th order Fresnel lens. The present light was built atop Battery Weed in 1903 and served until 1965 when it was discontinued following the construction of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. The light has been restored and was relighted in 2003. Sadly, the gentleman who was the driving force behind the restoration passed away a few months before the relighting. The setting is spectacular beside the massive west tower of the Verrazano-Narrows bridge. From the top of the park there are spectacular views of Manhattan on a clear day and there is a regular parade of ocean-going vessels that pass beneath the light. The lighthouse is readily accessible in the Gateway National Recreations area and should be a must to visit for any lighthouse fanatic visiting New York City.

Members who have visited Fort Wadsworth Light

Comments