Also known as: Swash Channel Range Front Light
The Elm Tree Beacon Light takes its name from an old elm tree that early sailors bound for New York harbor used as a landmark. When the light was built, it appropriately took its name from that old tree. The wooden Elm Tree light was torn down in 1939 and replaced by the present concrete tower that was equipped with a 6th order Fresnel lens. The beacon was actually a front range light and paired with the New Dorp Light, which is now a private residence obscured by the trees higher on Staten Island. The Elm Tree and New Dorp lights were discontinued in 1964.
The lighthouse is no longer active and stands at the end of New Dorp Lane in New Dorp on Staten Island along the edge of Miller Field, which was an airfield at one time.